cell phone with CWL website

Concealed Weapon Licenses

Onward Other Services, Services Grid

Due to equipment restrictions, applications and fingerprints will only be accepted in the Viera, Titusville-GCN, Palm Bay and Merritt Island Offices

Please note that appointments are required for all CWL Transactions.

Legislation passed in 2014 allows the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) to partner with Florida Tax Collectors to offer a streamlined and secure application process.

The concealed weapon license application will be completed at a computer station then reviewed before sent to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.  The applicant will be photographed and electronically fingerprinted.  The process takes less than an hour and prescreening decreases the likelihood of the application being delayed due to errors or omissions.  Click here for a CWL Fee Schedule.

An applicant’s eligibility for licensure will be made by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

First-Time Applicants

All original Florida Concealed Weapon License applications are reviewed by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and licenses are mailed to recipients.

  1. Determine if you are eligible for a concealed weapon license by reading the eligibility requirements or answering a few simple questions.
  2. Applicants must demonstrate competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a license. Click here to learn more about the acceptable forms of training and the proof of training documentation required.
  3. Read the application instructions to learn what is required when you complete and submit your application.
  4. Make an appointment
  5. Bring all of the required documentation with you so that you can submit your application in person using our fast-track process.
    • If a U.S. citizen born outside the U.S.: U.S. passport, Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-240), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350), Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570) or Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
    • If a permanent resident alien: USCIS documentation showing permanent resident alien status (I-551)
    • Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens do not qualify for a concealed weapon license.
  6. Check the status of your application by calling (850) 245-5691 and selecting option 1 or by visiting the FDACS website.

Review Section 790.06, Florida Statutes, to learn more about the law pertaining to Florida’s concealed weapon license program.

Once the Division of Licensing has received your electronic application, it will take about 90 days for the Division to process it and notify you of the outcome. Processing may take longer than 90 days if additional information regarding criminal records must be obtained.


Concealed Weapon License renewals with no changes, are printed same-day in our office.

Your Florida Concealed Weapon License is valid for a period of seven years. The expiration date appears on the front of your license. Approximately 95 days prior to the expiration date of your license, the division will send you the renewal form with complete instructions on how to renew your license.

If for some reason you fail to renew your license by its expiration date, keep in mind that your Concealed Weapon or Firearm license can be renewed up to six (6) months beyond the expiration date in accordance with section 790.06(11)(a), Florida Statutes. However, there is a late fee of $15 for renewing after the expiration date.

A concealed weapon license that has been expired for longer than six months cannot be renewed. If you fail to renew within that six-month period after expiration, you will have to apply for a new license. You cannot carry a concealed weapon or firearm after your license has expired.

Required Information for Renewals
1. YOU MUST HAVE: Your Concealed Weapon License Number or Concealed Weapon License Renewal Notice
2. State issued Photo ID that includes full name and date of birth
3. Legal name change documentation if applicable i.e. marriage certificate, court records, etc.  Our office can process the name change, however, we cannot print the renewal.  FDACS will mail the license to you.
4. Make an appointment

CWL Frequently Asked Questions

  • What will happen once I arrive at your office?
    • First, one of our staff members will direct you to a computer station where you will complete an online application form (please note that you do not need to complete an application form in advance of your appointment). The final step will be to take your photograph and electronically scan your fingerprints.
  • How long will it take to do this?
    • The average time to complete the entire process is 30 minutes or less.
  • How do I make an appointment?
  • What should I bring with me to the Tax Collector’s Office?
    • Original Licenses
      • A picture ID (A driver license or State-issued ID card is acceptable).
      • A copy of a training document or other certificate that confirms you are proficient with a firearm.
      • If you have ever been arrested, you should bring certified copies of the court documentation reflecting the final disposition of the charge(s) filed against you.
      • If you were born outside the United States, or if you are a permanent legal resident alien; you must bring official documentation with you that confirms your citizenship status.
      Renewal Licenses
      • A picture ID (A driver license or State-issued ID card is acceptable).
      • Your Concealed Weapon License number or Concealed Weapon License Renewal notice.
      • Legal name change documentation, if applicable.