Since birth records are required for obtaining or renewing Florida driver’s licenses and State identification cards, the partnership between the Tax Collector and the Florida Department of Health in Brevard County makes this process easier by consolidating services and allowing residents to complete both transactions at the same office.
There will be an additional $6.25 administrative fee for Florida birth certificates issued at the Tax Collector offices.
Obtaining a Florida birth certificate
Step 1: Picture ID
YOU MUST BRING ONE VALID AND CURRENT PICTURE IDENTIFICATION (ID) TO APPLY FOR A FLORIDA BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
If you are a parent requesting a copy of your child’s Florida birth certificate, you must bring your valid and current picture ID. Acceptable forms of picture ID include:
- Driver’s License,
- State Identification Card,
- Passport, and/or
- Military Identification Card.
Step 2: Eligibility
Determine your eligibility (relationship) to receive a Florida birth certificate. You must meet one (1) of the following criteria:
- Be the child named on the Florida birth certificate AND 18 years of age or older, or
- Be the recorded or listed parent of the person named on the Florida birth certificate.
Step 3: Certificate Holder Information
Be prepared to provide information about the person named on the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name of person at birth and any subsequent legal name changes,
- Date of birth,
- City or county of birth,
- Mother’s full name including her maiden surname, and
- Father’s full name (if his name is on the record).
Step 4: Applicant Information
Be prepared to provide information about the person obtaining the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name,
- Relationship to person named on the certificate (father, mother, self, etc.),
- Mailing address (include city, state and zip code), and
- Daytime phone number.
Save time and complete the application prior to visiting the office. Click here for application (Spanish Version).
Reminder: If applicant is self, the applicant must complete this application and provide valid photo identification. Acceptable forms of identification are the following: Driver’s License, State Identification Card, Passport, and/or Military Identification Card.
Fees & Payment Information
- Certified Computer Certificate: $18.25 ($12.00 Florida Department of Health Birth Certificate Fee + $6.25 Brevard County Tax Collector Administrative Fee)
- Available for all Florida births 1917 to present.
- Computer generated copy of the original record.
- Accepted as legal proof of birth and citizenship.
- Checks, cash, money orders, Visa, MasterCard or Discover are acceptable forms of payment. Current and valid photo ID is required. Acceptable forms of ID are Driver’s License, State Identification Card, Passport and/or Military Identification Card.
- Please note that there is a 2.5% convenience fee charged by our third-party payment processor, Grant Street Group, for all credit card payments.
- Florida birth certificates may still be obtained through the Florida Department of Health.